Donors Briefing On Nutrition
African Development Bank’s Regional Bureau
January 13, 2015 In Nairobi, Kenya
A donors’ briefing on Nutrition was held on January 13, 2015 in Nairobi, Kenya at the African Development Bank’s Regional Bureau. The briefing was organized by the African Union Commission (AUC) in collaboration with the World Food Programme (WFP) Africa Office and the WFP Regional Bureau for East and Central Africa, the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (ECA), the Rockefeller Foundation and the African Development Bank.
The discussions were led by the results of the Cost of Hunger in Africa study (COHA), an initiative led by the African Union Commission and supported by ECA and WFP. The results from the study shed new light on the social and economic consequences of child under-nutrition in Africa. The groundbreaking study shows that undernutrition is not just a health issue, but an economic concern as well. The briefing also provided an update on child undernutrition in Eastern and Central Africa.
The briefing facilitated dialogue between UN agencies, donors and international institutions and raised awareness and funding. The briefing was attended by 52 participants, including participants from Development Partner countries, cooperating organisations, United Nations, Ambassadors from COHA participating countries and NGOs.
Remarks and presentations were made by the following people:
1. Dr. Janet Byaruhanga, Health Policy Officer at the African Union Commission (AUC)
2. Prof. Takyiwaa Manuh, Director of the Social Development Policy Division at the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA)
3. Mr. Thomas Yanga, Director of WFP Africa Office in Addis Ababa and WFP Representative to the AU and ECA
4. Mrs. Valerie Guarnieri, WFP Regional Director, Eastern & Central Africa
5. Mrs. Allison Oman, Senior Regional Nutrition Advisor, WFP Regional Bureau for Eastern & Central Africa
6. Dr. Iris Macculi, Economic Affairs Officer, Social Development Policy Division (SDPD), UN Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA)
7. Mr. Mamadou Biteye, Managing Director, Africa Regional Office, the Rockefeller Foundation
8. Mrs. Patricia Mugambi, Africa Director, Strategy and Partnerships, the Children's Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF)
9. Mr. Gabriel Negatu, Regional Director, Eastern Africa Regional Center, African Development Bank.